Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back out of the Woods / Nuclear Power Plant

Sooooo I survived yet again the potential allergic reaction from mosquito bites. This time I escaped with only one on my left hand and one on my neck. Basiclly the routine was the same except (since it didn't rain) we played 2v2 volleyball and my hs's friend Anna came along with us.

We had to wake up at 9am this morning to leave the cottage because myself, hm and hd were planning on going to the nuclear power plant. That meant we had to drop the others off back in Kankaanpää and then hit the road again for another 1.5 hrs and actually landed in a bus for a good amount of time.

I thought we would have had the chance to walk around and see all of the nuclear stuff but that wasn't the case. It was a bus tour that only dropped us off to see some excavations and a huge 17m long by 3.5m tall transformers machine.

There I got to touch some bedrock that was about 2 billion years old.

The nuclear power plant is the largest in Finland and is set on an ithsmus, leading into the bay. Except you couldn't go into the water because of the output water that is hot enough to prevent swimming and fishing. And there probably is a radiation threat.

There are hella tunnels being constructed, that's why they excavated rock samples. The highly contaminated materials are going to be disposed into the bedrock about 420m below the surface through a huge channel of tunnels. I forget the exact length.

And even more platns are being built on the property. Right now there is two but the third will be done by 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment